Finding Trails

Questions, answers and general discussion around Insane NavEngine!
Danco3636

Finding Trails

Post by Danco3636 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:49 am

So I ran the Rubicon trail this last weekend with my newly installed Insane Audio. When I hit the Nav app it didn't display the Rubicon trail. So how do I identify and display off road trails. And perhaps other trails in the area's I go off road?

InsaneAudioSupport

Re: Finding Trails

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:32 am

Danco3636 wrote:So I ran the Rubicon trail this last weekend with my newly installed Insane Audio. When I hit the Nav app it didn't display the Rubicon trail. So how do I identify and display off road trails. And perhaps other trails in the area's I go off road?
Hey, there! We were just there at the Jeepers Jamboree a few weeks ago. Hope you had fun on the 'con!

To answer your question, Insane NavEngine gets it's map data from a number of sources. It gets roads from Garmin and TomTom and it gets trails from US Geological Survey data. For example, sometimes, if you're off on a trail you'll see things like 1S204 -- those are survey numbers and will show up as an unpaved road (by default this is brown in color). Parts of the 'con will show up as "Rubicon Springs Road" but some parts of the trail didn't show up for us either which means they've never been officially surveyed (if memory serves, Little Sluice wasn't surveyed). Unfortunately, while Insane NavEngine has thousands of trails it is somewhat limited to the survey data that is available.

That being said, you still have all kinds of options with Insane Audio in your rig. For example, you can use Backcountry Navigator with full satellite imagery in tandem with things like FunTreks which provide waypoints that synch with their guidebooks. This is just one example and there are dozens of other cool things you can do with your Insane Audio head unit.

Here is a link to how to use FunTreks and Backcountry Navigator -- http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/forum/vi ... ?f=7&t=693

Anyone else out there have a favorite app they use offroad?

SuperRuby14

Post by SuperRuby14 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:05 am

I use both Backcountry Navigator and NavEngine. While I haven't had a chance to go to the Rubicon yet (bucket list item), I guess I'm lucky because Insane NavEngine shows all the trails I usually go on. Backcountry Navigator is awesome for satellite imagery. It's better then Google Earth because you can download stuff ahead of time and store it on the microSD card. (Read: works when you are out of cell range which is pretty much the case anytime you are offroad)

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:32 am

Also, just a tip for folks out there reading this -- when using Insane NavEngine offroad, make sure in your route plotting options you select "use unpaved roads". That way, Insane NavEngine will actually use it's database of unpaved roads as part of navigating. For example, the last time we were out in California's Mojave desert we decided to just get lost for fun. There are dozens of trails out there and they're all interconnected. We just drove wherever we felt like it until we had a half tank of gas left. Then, we used Insane NavEngine to just plot a course home. It took us down one trail, turned down a few more, right up to the main road, on to the interstate and back to the shop. It's kinda cool the way it works -- Insane NavEngine treats trails just like roads and if you allow it to use "unpaved roads" it will use those in its route plotting.