Maps for camping

Questions, answers and general discussion around Insane NavEngine!
Rockme64

Maps for camping

Post by Rockme64 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:47 pm

Dear Insane Guys,

We took a 6,000 mile trip from Houston, Tx to Glacier National Park this summer. An amazing trip made much better by having the JK1001. It took all of the hassles out of our trip - next gas station, next restaurant, next grocery store, etc. My daughter watched movies, I controlled the GoPro, we reviewed pictures from our cameras, we tethered the cell phone so we could get weather reports, send emails to friends, watch Netflix, listen to Pandora, etc. The JK1001 paid for itself just on this one trip.

I do have another NavEngine enhancement request. I would pay $$$ to get map locations of all camping sites by state - National Parks, State Parks, Dept of the Interior, Forestry Dept, National Forests, Water Authorities, County, etc. There's a company called ParksByNature that has the GPS info for a lot of these sites. Please talk to your NavEngine team and see if this is possible.

Thanks

Ron

InsaneAudioSupport

Re: Maps for camping

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:17 am

Rockme64 wrote:Dear Insane Guys,

We took a 6,000 mile trip from Houston, Tx to Glacier National Park this summer. An amazing trip made much better by having the JK1001. It took all of the hassles out of our trip - next gas station, next restaurant, next grocery store, etc. My daughter watched movies, I controlled the GoPro, we reviewed pictures from our cameras, we tethered the cell phone so we could get weather reports, send emails to friends, watch Netflix, listen to Pandora, etc. The JK1001 paid for itself just on this one trip.

I do have another NavEngine enhancement request. I would pay $$$ to get map locations of all camping sites by state - National Parks, State Parks, Dept of the Interior, Forestry Dept, National Forests, Water Authorities, County, etc. There's a company called ParksByNature that has the GPS info for a lot of these sites. Please talk to your NavEngine team and see if this is possible.

Thanks

Ron
Glad you'd digging your JK1001, Ron! Sounds like an awesome road trip!

We've passed your recommendation over to the Insane NavEngine team as something to potentially add. Thanks for the suggestion!

In the meantime, did you check the Google Play store for a camp site app? Granted, this would be a different app then having it all inside Insane NavEngine.. but there appear to be quite a few out there. Just something you might want to check out.

Thanks for the good vibes and we'll see 'ya on the trail!

InSaNe AuDio Support Staff

Rockme64

Post by Rockme64 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:34 pm

Yea - I downloaded the ParksByNature apps by state and filled up my internal storage. These apps have the GPS maps built in which makes them very large. Which is why I hope your NavEngine team can add campgrounds to their existing maps layers - it would save a lot of storage and make accessing the sites much easier.

Thanks

Ron

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:53 pm

Rockme64 wrote:Yea - I downloaded the ParksByNature apps by state and filled up my internal storage. These apps have the GPS maps built in which makes them very large. Which is why I hope your NavEngine team can add campgrounds to their existing maps layers - it would save a lot of storage and make accessing the sites much easier.

Thanks

Ron
Ron. Have you considered storing those maps in a Micro-SD card? I just last week picked up a 64 GB Micro-SD for $20. I put about 4 hours of music on it, and I think I used like 8%. That is not just for MUSIC - it is also additional STORAGE - think of it like the HDD of your old computer.

OK -- I THINK -- you could also store the maps on the GPS micro-SD, but I could be wrong about it, and would recommend that the TECH SUPPORT DUDES verify that before trying it.

Best of luck.

Mike -- El Paso.
Mike -- El Paso, Texas.

2015 JKU-R Hard Rock -- The Copperhead.

InsaneAudioSupport2

Post by InsaneAudioSupport2 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:46 pm

Keep in mind that your Insane NavEngine software is licensed to your specific GPS card. You will not be able to transfer your Insane NavEngine maps content onto another microSD card. With that said, you should definitely be able to move any app you download onto a microSD card. Much like moving apps on your phone, you can move apps from your phone, to your microSD card. To do so, go to settings > applications. Select your desired app and scroll down to the option 'Move to SD card'. Selecting this will move this app to your microSD card for storage instead of your JK1001's core memory. We hope that helps!

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:16 pm

InsaneAudioSupport2 wrote:Keep in mind that your Insane NavEngine software is licensed to your specific GPS card. You will not be able to transfer your Insane NavEngine maps content onto another microSD card. With that said, you should definitely be able to move any app you download onto a microSD card.
OK - that is somewhat of an answer.

Here it is - on a more direct form. Can you store third-party data on the GPS card? For example, downloaded maps etc? I can see this going both ways - one would be that you don't want anyone messing with the GPS card, but another line of thought would be to keep the mapping stuff together on one card.

Mike - El Paso.
Mike -- El Paso, Texas.

2015 JKU-R Hard Rock -- The Copperhead.

Casper711

Post by Casper711 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:18 pm

Personally I don't see the point of the map card. Why not have it assigned internally on the hd. Just for future reference this thing needs to have at least 128gb of memory or more. I picked up a 256gb jump drive and it's small and no reason why the JK1001 couldn't have a better internal memory. Sometimes I wish I had waited on a bigger and better version.

InsaneAudioSupport3

Post by InsaneAudioSupport3 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:16 am

Casper711 wrote:Personally I don't see the point of the map card. Why not have it assigned internally on the hd. Just for future reference this thing needs to have at least 128gb of memory or more. I picked up a 256gb jump drive and it's small and no reason why the JK1001 couldn't have a better internal memory. Sometimes I wish I had waited on a bigger and better version.
Hey there! The Map card is how the license for the satellites is managed. It also designed to be modular so that you can use it with NaviExtras toolbox on your computer to download extra maps and updates. It also allows you to load your own map files, if you have them. We designed the JK1001 to accept multiple forms of media so that you can add/remove music and files as you see necessary. I just have a 128GB flash drive in the back of my test unit, and I just stream all of my music and movies from there.

Casper711

Post by Casper711 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:58 pm

InsaneAudioSupport3 wrote:
Casper711 wrote:Personally I don't see the point of the map card. Why not have it assigned internally on the hd. Just for future reference this thing needs to have at least 128gb of memory or more. I picked up a 256gb jump drive and it's small and no reason why the JK1001 couldn't have a better internal memory. Sometimes I wish I had waited on a bigger and better version.
Hey there! The Map card is how the license for the satellites is managed. It also designed to be modular so that you can use it with NaviExtras toolbox on your computer to download extra maps and updates. It also allows you to load your own map files, if you have them. We designed the JK1001 to accept multiple forms of media so that you can add/remove music and files as you see necessary. I just have a 128GB flash drive in the back of my test unit, and I just stream all of my music and movies from there.
Gotcha, my apologies if my remark sounded rude, it wasn't intended that way. I'm probably not using the JK1001 correctly cause I can no longer download anything.

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:47 pm

Casper711 wrote: Gotcha, my apologies if my remark sounded rude, it wasn't intended that way. I'm probably not using the JK1001 correctly cause I can no longer download anything.
No worries, Casper711. We're always here to help. We're note quite sure what you mean about no longer being able to download anything so please hit up our support guys directly and we'll see if we can't get you going -- support@insanejeepaudio.com