Maps?

Questions, answers and general discussion around Insane NavEngine!
ZenGuru

Maps?

Post by ZenGuru » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:33 am

As I understand it, my JK1001 comes with maps of US with lifetime updates. We are planning a trip to Alberta, Canada, so I thought I would check the availability and price of such a map. On the Naviextras site I found the following:

Map of US & Canada -- 64.95 to 79.95
Map of Canada -- 69.95
Map of Mexico -- 69.95
Map of US, Canada & Mexico -- 69.95

I must say, this is a bit confusing. If I want a map of Mexico, it is $70, if I want Canada, it is $70, if I want both Canada & Mexico, it is $70 and I get the USA as well (which I already have). :?

InsaneAudioSupport

Re: Maps?

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:36 am

ZenGuru wrote:As I understand it, my JK1001 comes with maps of US with lifetime updates. We are planning a trip to Alberta, Canada, so I thought I would check the availability and price of such a map. On the Naviextras site I found the following:

Map of US & Canada -- 64.95 to 79.95
Map of Canada -- 69.95
Map of Mexico -- 69.95
Map of US, Canada & Mexico -- 69.95

I must say, this is a bit confusing. If I want a map of Mexico, it is $70, if I want Canada, it is $70, if I want both Canada & Mexico, it is $70 and I get the USA as well (which I already have). :?
Good observation. Please know that we don't set the prices on any of this. We have to purchase the data from external sources but the good news is that we don't mark any of it up. You'll find that our map updates and prices are pretty darn reasonable compared to the competition.

That being said, please know that your first update is free for the US but you do not receive lifetime updates. You need to purchase updates whenever you want them in the future (again --because we need to purchase this map data ourselves and simply pass through the costs). It's also worth noting, however, that you really don't need to do this all that often. We only recommend updating maps every couple of years or so. We are not a subscription based service or anything like that... so when you buy the data, it's yours. And you can use it forever if you want.

ZenGuru

Post by ZenGuru » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:08 pm

I agree that the prices are reasonable, especially in comparison to the OEM navigation software. One reason I never updated the maps/software to try and correct some of the problems I experienced was the exorbitant price, somewhat north of $250, if I recall correctly.

That being said, I as still somewhat confused as to my current state. You say I am entitled to one update by virtue of my JK1001 purchase. Should I purchase the US/Canada or the US/Canada/Mexico set, does that nullify my "free" update? Are the updates essentially repurchases, e.g., purchase US/Canada/Mexico today for $69 and "update" it in a couple of years for another $69?

tambo_man

Post by tambo_man » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:05 pm

There are numerous alternatives that are less than half the price available on the Android Playstore which you will find are as good, if not better and map updates are included.

All the popular Navigation brands produce offline android apps for navigation, for example TOMTOM, CoPilot and Sygic.

I think you will find TomTom for android with US and Canada maps will be around $50.

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:06 pm

ZenGuru -- you'll find that the first time you connect to the Naviextras Toolbox, it will want to download the map updates + any software updates initially. Anything else is in addition to that. Yes -- when you buy maps through us, you own them. It's not a subscription service or anything like that.

tambo_man -- you are entitled to use the system however you'd like and we pride ourselves in providing a fully open platform. This is one of the great things about Android on your JK1001. While we love Insane NavEngine and some of it's unique features, you are welcome to use any other navigation app you'd like. In fact, you can even program the NAVI button on the face of the unit to launch a different app if you so desire. You can do that through the GPS Application settings under GPS in the settings menu.

tambo_man

Post by tambo_man » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:25 pm

And that is exactly why I purchased one!

Love the openness of the platform.

Megagprime

Post by Megagprime » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:33 am

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Cool, thanks for sharing! Also, don't forget you can update your Insane NavEngine Maps at http://www.naviextras.com