As you may already know Insane NavEngine offers offline GPS navigation with on-road and off-road trail maps for both the US and Canada, full 3D topography, and turn-by-turn navigation. We get our map data from TomTom, Garmin, US Geological Survey, which allows us to include all kinds of rich topographical data and off-road trails that you just won’t see on other navigation apps. Insane Audio is now adding information from our most valuable data research group, our customers. Besides TomTom, Garmin and US Geological Survey, our new PUP addition allows Insane Audio customers to provide their favorite off-road trail heads, OHV areas, and breweries to make available on Insane NavEngine.
With Insane Audio’s exclusive Placemark Update Project, PUP, we’re making it easier than ever for our customers to find new trail heads, OHV areas, and breweries. Insane NavEngine already has our favorite trails and dirt roads mapped out wonderfully, and truly shines when you tell it to get you from point A to point B, with intelligent algorithms guiding you on the quickest, and most direct route to your destination plus the ability to navigate unpaved roads. However, a point of interest or trail head is much different, allowing you to view a location on a map. With Insane NavEngine’s new PUP you can find these POI’s, points of interest, with the push of a few buttons. It’s an amazing way to find some new local spots, get great directions to an old favorite area, plan an off-road trip half way across the country or just grab a pint at a great local brewery. Got Beer? Insane Audio does.
Insane NavEngine’s PUP 1.1 is the first release of this collective project and already has over 300 off-road trail heads and OHV areas plus, 30 breweries across the nation. This information is only available to the Insane Audio family. We at Insane Audio know 300 isn’t nearly enough though, and we’re encouraging our users to let us know where some of their favorite trails and local breweries are. The PUP is a living and breathing collection of data, and with your help we can turn it into a monster!
PUP v1.1 is designed to work with Insane NavEngine v1.3 for best results, it can however still function on Insane NavEngine v1.2 software but is not recommended. Insane Audio always recommends having your unit on the latest Insane Audio software release and Insane NavEngine running the latest software version as well.
You can update your Insane Audio software here. https://insaneaudio.com/forum/viewforum ... 9638bb037d
Updating Insane NavEngine
Now let’s update Insane NavEngine. Head over to Naviextras.com and download the NaviExtras Toolbox to your Windows PC. Sorry Mac users, this application is only available for PC’s. This wasn’t Insane Audio’s choice but our partners over at NaviExtras. Hopefully, one of your PC friends will be nice enough to let you borrow their computer. It’ll be worth their while when you take them off-roading to a new and amazing spot found on Insane NavEngine.
NaviExtras Toolbox is a great tool that will allow you to update your map data and update your version of Insane NavEngine too. While map data does cost to update, our PUP project is entirely free. You can also update your Insane NavEngine to the latest software for free too. Insane NavEngine 1.3 has some great bug fixes and software improvements that you don’t want to miss out on, plus it comes with PUP 1.1 already installed!
To Install the latest version of Insane NavEngine follow these directions:
1. First, let’s check if you need to update. Turn on your head unit and open Insane NavEngine.
2. From the home screen, go to More-> Help-> About, and check what version the software is. If you have 1.3, you’re all set! If you have 1.2 or older, you’ll want to follow the rest of these steps to update.
3. Power down your head unit and removed you GPS card. Be careful when ejecting the GPS card not to misplace it.
4. Go to www.naviextras.com and download their ToolBox to your PC.
5. Open the ToolBox on your PC.
6. Follow the onscreen steps to update your version of Insane NavEngine, this would also be a good time to make a backup.
o You may also want to take advantage of the free map update at this time, but you don’t have to if you’d like to update later. Yup, all Insane
Audio customers get one free map update for their GPS card that they can use whenever they choose!
o Whenever using the NaviExtras ToolBox Insane Audio always recommends making a backup of your GPS card.
Updating The PUP
You'll have to update Insane NavEngine to begin using the PUP. In addition, you'll want to occasionally check for updates to make sure you're running the latest version of the PUP. The hard part is done, after you’ve installed Insane NavEngine 1.3 updating your PUP is super simple. Just head over to the Google Play Store and download the latest version of IA Utility. Once you’ve download and Installed the latest version, open the IA Utility app. You’ll notice 3 lines in the upper left of the screen. Press the 3 lines and select Updates. This screen will let you know if there’s any updates for your Insane Audio head unit, including PUP updates and software updates. For PUP updates just tap the install notification. The newest version of PUP will load onto Insane NavEngine for you. Then you’re all set to use the newest PUP update!
These updates will be released periodically whenever we feel a worthy amount of data has been added to the PUP, or just something really cool Insane Audio doesn't want anyone to miss out on. We’re excited to push out updates and look forward to your help to expand our PUP project into an amazing wealth of data for the off-road enthusiast.
Using The PUP
Now that you’ve updated your Insane NavEngine to 1.3 let’s check out the PUP feature in action.
1. With the unit powered off insert the GPS card into the GPS port.
2. Turn on your head unit and open Insane NavEngine.
3. From Insane NavEngine’s Navigation Menu press the Destination button.
4. On the Destination screen press the Find Places button.
5. Once on the Find Places screen press the Custom Search button.
6. Now you have up to 4 options. For this example, we’re going to pick “In a City.”
a. In a City. Find a POI in a city of your choosing
b. Around Here. Find a POI around your last known or current position.
c. Along Route. Find a POI along the route that you’re traveling (only available when traveling along a route)
d. Around Destination. Find a POI at the destination of your route (only available when traveling along a route)
7. Enter your State and City. Since Insane NavEngine is meant to work all over the world, enter the State into the Country field. We’ll enter Utah, in the Country field and Moab in the City field for this example. Then press select.
8. Now you’ll see a list of folders, scroll down until you see Breweries, or Off-Roading and select the folder of your choice. For this example, we’ll use the Off-Roading folder.
9. From here select either OHV Areas and Parks or Trails Heads. In this example, we’ll use Trail Heads.
10. Here you’ll see a list of POI’s and their respected distance. I decided to go ahead and scroll to Where Eagles Dare. If you select any trail Insane NavEngine automatically prompts this area on a map.
11. All you have to do is press GO and Insane NavEngine will start to calculate your route to the next off-roading adventure.
Viewing PUP on map
This feature is really great and also allows you to view POI’s through Insane NavEngine while you’re driving down the road. Much like a gas station shows up on Insane NavEngine, you can see POI’s too. To set this up follow these easy steps and you’ll be seeing off-road trail heads, OHV areas, and breweries on map in no time.
1. With Insane NavEngine open click on the show map button.
2. Then tap the 3 lines in the upper right-hand corner.
3. Press map settings in this next menu.
4. Scroll all the way down until you see place markers and tap it.
5. Now you can check the box of any type of place marker you’d like to see while driving, Like Off-roading.
6. Some categories have subcategories that you can select and fine tune what you see. Off-Roading for example has the sub category of Trail heads and OHV Areas and Parks. You can check either of these boxes separately if you like.
Do you want to get involved? Send us some of your favorite points of interest. Sending Insane Audio a POI is easy just follow this format. Whether you would like to add your favorite trail head or OHV area just provide the name and appropriate coordinates. If you’d like to add your favorite local brewery you can either provide coordinates or the address. Both work great. The Insane Audio team is looking forward to seeing your favorite spots. However, Insane Audio will verify every source, and no one wants anyone submitting their ex’s address. Please submit all POI’s to this post below.
This is just the start! Insane Audio will be adding other POI categories too. Trail heads, OHV areas, and breweries are just the beginning. Ghost towns, hot springs and distilleries are some ideas that are in the air, but we’d really like to know what our Insane Audio family would like to see. Please let us know what type of POI’s you’d be interested in and provide some of your favorite spots too!
Here's a quick example of how awesome the PUP is. In San Diego, Ca an Insane Audio team member used Insane NavEngine and PUP to find a new spot to catch a refreshment, Amplified Ale Works. Where will Insane Audio’s new PUP feature take you?
If you have any questions about the PUP or the installation and update process, please feel free to reply to the forum post. With Insane Audio you get a lifetime of technical support and a company that stands behind everything we build 100%. Now we’ve also added a free off-roading guide via Insane NavEngine! We look forward to hearing from you with your points of interest.
Please use Insane Audio’s new PUP feature responsibly. Insane Audio encourages all drivers and participants to do personal research before visiting any new off-road area. Driving off-road can be a lot of fun but dangerous too. Please make sure you and your vehicle are prepared for the adventure. In addition, some OHV areas have restrictions for example, only certain off-road vehicles are allowed, permits may be required along with special registration. Finally, Insane Audio would like to remind everyone to drink responsibly and never operate a motorized vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. We want everyone to be safe out there and have a great time!
Questions, answers and general discussion around Insane NavEngine!
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Insane Audio is proud to announce version 1.3 of our Placemark Update Project, PUP. The PUP now offers over 500+ breweries all throughout the United States. We didn’t forget Hawaii or Alaska either. Open the IA Utility app, press the 3 lines in the upper right and click updates. IA Utility will update your Insane NavEngine to the latest version of the PUP.
Let us know your favorite brewery! If it’s not already on the PUP, we’ll add it.
Let us know your favorite brewery! If it’s not already on the PUP, we’ll add it.