Breadcrumbs in Insane NavEngine (a.k.a. tracking your route)

Doing something interesting with your Insane Audio head unit? This is the place to share!
InsaneAudioSupport

Breadcrumbs in Insane NavEngine (a.k.a. tracking your route)

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi, All. We thought it would be a good idea to type up a quick tutorial on how to plot a route in Insane NavEngine. The short answer is that you can use the Trip Monitor feature to do this.

Let's elaborate a bit.

Before we do, however, we'd like to remind folks that there are essentially two different navigation modes within Insane NavEngine. Offroad and Onroad. What that means is that when you are in Offroad mode, the software will show your EXACT GPS position on the screen and attempt to overlay whatever map data it has. When you are on Onroad mode, the software will show your exact GPS position as a little blue dot but will APPROXIMATE your position on the nearest road with the vehicle icon. Remember that "road" in our definition also includes any unpaved roads or trail maps that might be present in the system. Onroad is really the most useful because it will track a course better so long as your road (or trail) is actually in the system.

Here is a pic...

In the above example, we are in Onroad mode. You can see the little Jeep icon on the road, but you can see a little blue dot under our left tire because we are pulled over to the side of the road to take the picture.

OK. On to tracking our route...

Step 1: Click on the menu button, then click on more...

Step 2: Click on the Trip Monitor button...

Once in the Trip Monitor, you can click on Record on the bottom right and you'll see that a new route has started recording...

Go back to the main map screen and you'll notice that your route is now being tracked via a red line. Note that this red line measures your exact GPS position. In this case, it looks like we drove a little off the road. ;)

Hope that helps!

GunnersJK

Re: Breadcrumbs in Insane NavEngine (a.k.a. tracking your ro

Post by GunnersJK » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:49 pm

I've been using this extensively this week and have a couple of questions.

Say I've been riding a named trail for an hour, stopping, turning off the Jeep, then starting again. When I do the system closes out that leg and does not continue the track. If I want to continue, I have to start a new track. Not what I am used to. Is there a way to keep the track running?

Also, if I want to go back and run the same trail tomorrow, how do I pull it up and have it show my location on the breadcrumb trail?

Thanks.

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:21 am

GunnersJK wrote:I've been using this extensively this week and have a couple of questions.

Say I've been riding a named trail for an hour, stopping, turning off the Jeep, then starting again. When I do the system closes out that leg and does not continue the track. If I want to continue, I have to start a new track. Not what I am used to. Is there a way to keep the track running?

Also, if I want to go back and run the same trail tomorrow, how do I pull it up and have it show my location on the breadcrumb trail?

Thanks.
Have you experimented with waypoints yet? That may be a more effective way to do what you're doing. Especially if your trail shows up in the map screen. In that case, you'd just create and save a waypoint at the start of the trail and one at the end of the trail.. then you can use Insane NavEngine to get you where you want to go. You can do that by saving your location to favorites and/or clicking on the map location you want to save to favorites.

Cheers,

InSaNe AUDio Support Staff

timmy

Post by timmy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 pm

InsaneAudioSupport wrote:
Have you experimented with waypoints yet? That may be a more effective way to do what you're doing. Especially if your trail shows up in the map screen. In that case, you'd just create and save a waypoint at the start of the trail and one at the end of the trail.. then you can use Insane NavEngine to get you where you want to go. You can do that by saving your location to favorites and/or clicking on the map location you want to save to favorites.

Cheers,

How exactly does this allow you to follow the recorded route back out if it is in OffRoad mode and there are no "roads" to follow? If you set a waypoint at the start and the end, and you record in-between, will you be able to see the recorded route when you use these waypoints so you can find your trail back out?

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:44 pm

timmy wrote:
InsaneAudioSupport wrote:

Cheers,

How exactly does this allow you to follow the recorded route back out if it is in OffRoad mode and there are no "roads" to follow? If you set a waypoint at the start and the end, and you record in-between, will you be able to see the recorded route when you use these waypoints so you can find your trail back out?
Firstly, remember that the JK1001 has onboard trail maps so what that means is that for the most part you'll hopefully see your trails show up as unpaved roads in the system. In that case, you'll still use Insane NavEngine in normal (on road) mode and it will navigate on the unpaved roads.

If you're truly off the beaten path, then you can use OffRoad mode and record your route per the above instructions. The red line will show you where you've been. (so to answer your last question... yes)

zjjk

Re: Breadcrumbs in Insane NavEngine (a.k.a. tracking your route)

Post by zjjk » Mon May 25, 2020 7:32 am

Hello,
I have been recording a bunch of trails that are not in the system already. I have them recorded in segments using the trip monitor system. I would however like to edit these on my computer to merge files, name them properly etc. I know there is an option to export tracks from trip monitor. How would I go about doing this?

Zach