sPOD SE Bluetooth

General tech discussion board for Insane Audio's JK1001, FJ1001 and other Android based head units (coming soon)!
Post Reply
ATLJeeper
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:14 am

sPOD SE Bluetooth

Post by ATLJeeper » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Anyone had luck getting the sPOD SE bluetooth working with the JK1001?

background: Downloaded the sPOD SE app to my iphone. Once activated, the app automatically pics up the sPOD's bluetooth signal. No pairing required. I turned off my iphone to avoid interference, restarted the sPOD (pulled fuse), downloaded the sPOD SE app from the play store, restarted the jeep engine, clicked the sPOD SE app on the JK1001. The JK1001 doesn't connect to the bluetooth device.

Thoughts?

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:59 pm
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA.
Contact:

Re: sPOD SE Bluetooth

Post by Mike » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:01 pm

ATLJeeper wrote:Anyone had luck getting the sPOD SE bluetooth working with the JK1001?

background: Downloaded the sPOD SE app to my iphone. Once activated, the app automatically pics up the sPOD's bluetooth signal. No pairing required. I turned off my iphone to avoid interference, restarted the sPOD (pulled fuse), downloaded the sPOD SE app from the play store, restarted the jeep engine, clicked the sPOD SE app on the JK1001. The JK1001 doesn't connect to the bluetooth device.

Thoughts?
DUDE! I have been helping a little here and there. But not this time. I refuse to live in Apple's walled paradise. I really wish I could point you to the information. But the only Apple I have in the house is a nice cold one in the kitchen. A big red one too.

Best of luck on this. Hope you find it.

Well - one thought. ARE YOU CERTAIN you do not need to PAIR the device? I don't know, just asking..... but there might be a difference between a Bluetooth Scan picking it up, and it actually being PAIRED for use. I am just guessing here.

Mike -- El Paso.
Mike -- El Paso, Texas.

2015 JKU-R Hard Rock -- The Copperhead.
.

timmy
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:07 am

Re: sPOD SE Bluetooth

Post by timmy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:51 am

Mike wrote: DUDE! I have been helping a little here and there. But not this time. I refuse to live in Apple's walled paradise.

Mike -- El Paso.
Couldn't help but jump in here. Not sure what you are going on about his Apple device for? The sPod is a power distribution system for a Jeep that has bluetooth and an app for Android devices. Like me, he'd like to control the power distribution to control his lights, his winch and other things from his JK1001 via bluetooth instead of having to mount yet another controller in the Jeep. He only mentioned about his Apple phone to indicate it was connected via bluetooth to it and that part of the troubleshooting process was to disconnect his Apple phone to be sure the sPod was only trying to connect to his JK1001.

@ATLJeeper - If you get this working, be sure to let us know. I want to do the same thing but with Switch Pro's SP-8100 but now I'm guessing I'd have similar trouble you are having. I contacted Switch Pro's and they indicated the pod itself still had to be plugged in for the system to function even though I would be controlling it all from the JK1001, so basically I have to find a place to stash the pod, but at least I can put it in any spot I'd like now as it really wouldn't be used very often.

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:59 pm
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA.
Contact:

Re: sPOD SE Bluetooth

Post by Mike » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:18 am

timmy wrote:
Couldn't help but jump in here. Not sure what you are going on about his Apple device for? The sPod is a power distribution system for a Jeep that has bluetooth and an app for Android devices. .
My mistake. My son has some sort of S-Pod thingie for his I-stuff, and it is always giving him fits. I thought it was the same thing.

Mike -- El Paso.
Mike -- El Paso, Texas.

2015 JKU-R Hard Rock -- The Copperhead.
.

timmy
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:07 am

Re: sPOD SE Bluetooth

Post by timmy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:45 pm

Thought I'd give an update on the SwitchPro's SP-8100 (comparable to the S-POD). I installed mine this weekend and just now downloaded the app on the JK1001. My JK1001 would have been the very first client to connect to the SP-8100 via bluetooth as I had not tried with any prior device. The SwitchPro's app launches and shows the main screen where you can tell it to auto-connect and some other settings. I pressed the button to scan and it just totally bombed with an error message. Gave me a chance to send an error report to SwitchPro's with a debug dump, which I did. Tried a few more times but no luck. I have a feeling these devices do not like the bluetooth in the JK1001 at all.

I'm picking up a set of halo lights off of eBay for my headlights. I see they offer some that have a WiFi controllers to control the lights and some with Bluetooth. I did some digging and found the apps on the Google Play store. Interestingly enough, Google Play indicated that any of the bluetooth apps were not compatible with the JK1001, only the WiFi ones. I booted up the JK1001 and manually searched for the bluetooth versions and they said the same. I downloaded the WiFi one and it at least installed and indicated it was going to search for the device.

I think just further proof that Bluetooth apps on the JK1001 are hit and miss, with it usually being a miss in my experience.

InsaneAudioSupport
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:09 pm

Re: sPOD SE Bluetooth

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:43 pm

timmy wrote:Thought I'd give an update on the SwitchPro's SP-8100 (comparable to the S-POD). I installed mine this weekend and just now downloaded the app on the JK1001. My JK1001 would have been the very first client to connect to the SP-8100 via bluetooth as I had not tried with any prior device. The SwitchPro's app launches and shows the main screen where you can tell it to auto-connect and some other settings. I pressed the button to scan and it just totally bombed with an error message. Gave me a chance to send an error report to SwitchPro's with a debug dump, which I did. Tried a few more times but no luck. I have a feeling these devices do not like the bluetooth in the JK1001 at all.

I'm picking up a set of halo lights off of eBay for my headlights. I see they offer some that have a WiFi controllers to control the lights and some with Bluetooth. I did some digging and found the apps on the Google Play store. Interestingly enough, Google Play indicated that any of the bluetooth apps were not compatible with the JK1001, only the WiFi ones. I booted up the JK1001 and manually searched for the bluetooth versions and they said the same. I downloaded the WiFi one and it at least installed and indicated it was going to search for the device.

I think just further proof that Bluetooth apps on the JK1001 are hit and miss, with it usually being a miss in my experience.
All -- Right now, Insane Audio's JK1001 is not compatible with S-POD or Switch Pros. We're working with both of them on seeing what options there are.

Your JK1001 has a different bluetooth chip then a typical smartphone because it's meant to connect differently. The hardware we use is more akin to a bluetooth speakerphone that connects as a slave device to a master (like a phone). That enables handsfree calling and media streaming. So, in essence, it's not going to necessarily work with an app or hardware device that was written to only work with a phone-type bluetooth chip that always operates as a master device.

This is probably more technical details then most are interested in, but the short of it is that our unit is currently working as designed... but we understand that folks out there want to do more. Our guys are good at what they do and we even have a S-POD setup in our lab. We're looking to see if there are any clever workarounds... but no promises!

Cheers,

InSaNe AuDio Support

dltong
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Re: sPOD SE Bluetooth

Post by dltong » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:59 pm

FYI, I put a post in the TJ forum discussing how I was able to utilize the IA head unit to control a USB relay board. The difference between a bluetooth board and a USB board is that you have to run one extra wire (the USB cable). If you use all the relays on an 8-relay board, you're going to be running between 16 and 24 lines anyways, so what's one more?

The other plus is that the 8-relay board on Amazon was under $20.

I had to write an Android app to control the board. It works for me but it's not yet ready from prime time because I haven't yet completed the infrastructure needed to configure the button names, specify which button connects to which relay, etc. When I get further along I'll update the post in the TJ forum.

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:59 am

Re: sPOD SE Bluetooth

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 am

Hey dltong, this is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Post Reply