2015 JKU adding a 2012 sub box

Questions and answers relating to installation of Insane Audio's JK1001 and JK2001
kcbar4

2015 JKU adding a 2012 sub box

Post by kcbar4 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:48 am

I have a 2015 JKU, with base model deck. I have changed out the deck to an Insane Audio deck. I am happy with it. I found a 2012 sub box with speaker, and installed it in the back of the jeep. Fit no problem. Did not like the 2015 bottom mount sub. There was 8 wires (4 pairs) of the 2015 connector and 4 wires (2 pairs) on the sub box (not including the 12 power outlet). I got wiring diagrams from Jeep that should 2 common pairs for each and wired in the 2 common pairs for each. In the jeep wiring diagram they do not show any amps or any other modules coming from the deck to the speakers. I have no sound out of the sub. The people from Insane Audio said this should work as they have a built in amp in their unit. Talking with my local jeep dealers has been a bust. Does anyone know why this is not working?

InsaneAudioSupport

Re: 2015 JKU adding a 2012 sub box

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:14 pm

kcbar4 wrote:I have a 2015 JKU, with base model deck. I have changed out the deck to an Insane Audio deck. I am happy with it. I found a 2012 sub box with speaker, and installed it in the back of the jeep. Fit no problem. Did not like the 2015 bottom mount sub. There was 8 wires (4 pairs) of the 2015 connector and 4 wires (2 pairs) on the sub box (not including the 12 power outlet). I got wiring diagrams from Jeep that should 2 common pairs for each and wired in the 2 common pairs for each. In the jeep wiring diagram they do not show any amps or any other modules coming from the deck to the speakers. I have no sound out of the sub. The people from Insane Audio said this should work as they have a built in amp in their unit. Talking with my local jeep dealers has been a bust. Does anyone know why this is not working?
We're not quite sure we understand the question, so let's clarify...

Do you have an amplifier + sub, or an amplified sub? (if so, you'll need to run power to your amplified sub and you want to connect it to your JK1001 via the SUB OUT RCA plug)

If this is from a 2012 OEM setup, then it was from one of the Infinity or Alpine premium upgrades.. which would have had an amplifier somewhere in the system (which, by the way, the JK1001 fully interfaces with via the CANBUS). You probably can't just hook it up to speaker wires and get the results you're looking for.

kcbar4

Post by kcbar4 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:53 am

What I got was the sub out of a 2012 JKU with alpine (Factory). I have a single line wiring diagram that does not show any other components in line from the deck to the sub. Do you know where the Amp would be. I have chased the wires from the rear of the jeep to the deck and find no place for a amp.

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:10 pm

kcbar4 wrote:What I got was the sub out of a 2012 JKU with alpine (Factory). I have a single line wiring diagram that does not show any other components in line from the deck to the sub. Do you know where the Amp would be. I have chased the wires from the rear of the jeep to the deck and find no place for a amp.
Ah ha. OK. We're pretty sure that with the Alpine upgrades they have several amps. One for the mains and a second one for the sub. That sub wasn't designed to be added without an amp. (Unless the amp is integrated with the speaker -- in which case you'd have to power it not just run speaker wires).

...anyone on the forum know where the amps are located in the OEM premium upgrade? Either way, you most likely will want to just add an amp to your system, use the sub out from your JK1001 and then have that sub amp drive your sub speaker.