USB Ports

Questions and answers relating to installation of Insane Audio's JK1001 and JK2001
Post Reply
brianw
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:19 pm

USB Ports

Post by brianw » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:30 pm

I'm installing the JK2001 into my 2016 JKU. Is there any difference between the two USB ports? Will they both have power when the unit is powered on? I'm thinking of running the extender cable to my glove box and a lightning cable to my iPhone mounted on my dash.

InsaneAudioSupport
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:09 pm

Re: USB Ports

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:39 am

brianw wrote:I'm installing the JK2001 into my 2016 JKU. Is there any difference between the two USB ports? Will they both have power when the unit is powered on? I'm thinking of running the extender cable to my glove box and a lightning cable to my iPhone mounted on my dash.
No difference. The unit will recognize either.

Note that you cannot use the USB port for an iPhone. The USB ports are for thumb drives with movies or music. You'll need to use the iPod cable for connecting to apple devices.

One thing that a lot of customers seem to like is to use that extra port for a slim profile USB drive like this -- https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-SD ... andisk+usb

Then you basically have an extra 128GB of storage onboard in addition to the microSD card and another USB cable in the glovebox. We do recommend using a slim profile drive, though -- a fullsize USB may break off at the rear of the unit.

Remember, with all storage on your new JK2001 you need to make sure it is formatted correctly. We recommend FAT32 for everything.

We hope that helps! Enjoy your new JK2001!

brianw
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:19 pm

Re: USB Ports

Post by brianw » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:28 am

Got it. Are these ports USB3 or?

InsaneAudioSupport
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:09 pm

Re: USB Ports

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 am

We're pretty sure they are USB 2.0 but any thumb drive should work. (USB 3.0 is downward compatible)

Sammage
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: USB Ports

Post by Sammage » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:17 pm

So, am I right in my understanding that one of the ports could be run to the top of the dash to power the phone that provides the Wifi internet connection by using a normal power cable for that phone and the other as a data port for usb drives?

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:59 am

Re: USB Ports

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:10 pm

Sammage wrote:So, am I right in my understanding that one of the ports could be run to the top of the dash to power the phone that provides the Wifi internet connection by using a normal power cable for that phone and the other as a data port for usb drives?
You bet! We recommend running the provided USB extension cable to your glovebox for the data port for USB drives.

Rick Grimes
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Re: USB Ports

Post by Rick Grimes » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:38 am

InsaneAudioSupport wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:39 am
brianw wrote:I'm installing the JK2001 into my 2016 JKU. Is there any difference between the two USB ports? Will they both have power when the unit is powered on? I'm thinking of running the extender cable to my glove box and a lightning cable to my iPhone mounted on my dash.
No difference. The unit will recognize either.

Note that you cannot use the USB port for an iPhone. The USB ports are for thumb drives with movies or music. You'll need to use the iPod cable for connecting to apple devices.

One thing that a lot of customers seem to like is to use that extra port for a slim profile USB drive like this -- https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-SD ... andisk+usb

Then you basically have an extra 128GB of storage onboard in addition to the microSD card and another USB cable in the glovebox. We do recommend using a slim profile drive, though -- a fullsize USB may break off at the rear of the unit.

Remember, with all storage on your new JK2001 you need to make sure it is formatted correctly. We recommend FAT32 for everything.

We hope that helps! Enjoy your new JK2001!
I use an iPod for music via lightening cable through the center USB, and my Samsung 8 Bluetooth for phone in my jeep and my other vehicles.... If I'm reading this correctly, I won't be able to do that with the JK unit? Or is there a different way of doing this?

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:59 am

Re: USB Ports

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:53 pm

Hey Rick,

The USB ports on your unit are primarily for USB storage devices, like a thumb drive full of music or movies, for example. Plugging your phone or iPod into either USB port will charge the device. You can stream music from your phone to your unit using the Bluetooth Music app, plug your iPod into the dedicated iPod cable and open the iPod app, or provide your unit with an internet connection via your phone's personal hotspot. We recommend running the included iPod cable and USB cables to your glove box. Hope this helps!

Rick Grimes
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Re: USB Ports

Post by Rick Grimes » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:54 pm

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:53 pm
Hey Rick,

The USB ports on your unit are primarily for USB storage devices, like a thumb drive full of music or movies, for example. Plugging your phone or iPod into either USB port will charge the device. You can stream music from your phone to your unit using the Bluetooth Music app, plug your iPod into the dedicated iPod cable and open the iPod app, or provide your unit with an internet connection via your phone's personal hotspot. We recommend running the included iPod cable and USB cables to your glove box. Hope this helps!
Thank you

Post Reply