JK in a TJ

Questions and answers relating to installation of Insane Audio's JK1001 and JK2001
yellow_dolphin

JK in a TJ

Post by yellow_dolphin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi Insane Team,

I am new to your forum but not new to Jeeps. While I am not a JK expert nor have a JK, I am interested in the JK Insane radio for its current and future features and capability. My plan is to integrate the JK1001 into one of my Jeeps, specifically a TJUR. I do know you have a TJ version, but not interested in that path.

I understand that the JK1001 is a single Din size on the back. But I do not know if it is a din and half or double din on the front? It does look like a double din and assuming it is, I am willing to modify the center bezel and dash in my TJ. Have you done this and see any major issues?

Regarding the electrical part, I assume that I would have to make a cable harness to adapt from the JK connector to a TJ connector. Here are my questions:

Will the OBD feature work with the TJ?
Steering wheel controls will not work obviously.
Jeep can bus will not work.
Factory subwoofer in the TJ is not a must as long as aftermarket/custom setup works.
What other features do you think will not work?

I look forward to hear from you either through the forum or directly at irvcaba@yahoo.com.

Thanks

InsaneAudioSupport

Re: JK in a TJ

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:50 am

yellow_dolphin wrote:Hi Insane Team,

I am new to your forum but not new to Jeeps. While I am not a JK expert nor have a JK, I am interested in the JK Insane radio for its current and future features and capability. My plan is to integrate the JK1001 into one of my Jeeps, specifically a TJUR. I do know you have a TJ version, but not interested in that path.

I understand that the JK1001 is a single Din size on the back. But I do not know if it is a din and half or double din on the front? It does look like a double din and assuming it is, I am willing to modify the center bezel and dash in my TJ. Have you done this and see any major issues?

Regarding the electrical part, I assume that I would have to make a cable harness to adapt from the JK connector to a TJ connector. Here are my questions:

Will the OBD feature work with the TJ?
Steering wheel controls will not work obviously.
Jeep can bus will not work.
Factory subwoofer in the TJ is not a must as long as aftermarket/custom setup works.
What other features do you think will not work?

I look forward to hear from you either through the forum or directly at irvcaba@yahoo.com.

Thanks
Hmmm... this is a very interesting project. It looks like you know this already, but we should reiterate the fact that Insane Audio's TJ1001 is a PERFECT fit for your dash and will connect up to your stock wiring harness. But... you are correct in that a JK1001 would be pretty bad-ass.. bigger screen... android... all kinds of coolness.

To answer your questions... you could theoretically get everything to work. The JK1001 is actually only a single DIN chasis so it will fit in your dash cavity. The screen itself (and the plastic faceplate) is 1 1/8 thick and is 9 1/8 x 3 1/4.

Torque (OBD app) will work. Canbus is irrelevant because your TJ doesn't use canbus... you probably don't have steering wheel controls in your TJ, but if you do... you can get them to work by manually programming them and hooking up the steering wheel control wire. Your factory sub should still work. In fact... we can't think of anything that wouldn't work.

What you're going to need to do is hack the wiring harness and manually wire 'em up to your TJ. Since you're the first person we know of about to take on this project.. hit us up at support@insanejeepaudio.com and we'll send you a TJ wiring harness end piece... so... you'll have to manually splice and connect wires from the JK1001 wiring harness to the TJ end piece.. but then you should be able to plug and play without having to hack your factory wires.

Of course.. you'll need to do some dash work to make it all look pretty. The mounting holes and all that for the JK1001 are obviously specifically made for the JK dash.

Please keep us posted on your progress!! This is a cool project!

yellow_dolphin

Post by yellow_dolphin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:45 pm

Sent email with a few more questions. Look forward to hear soon.

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:20 am

Looks like we've got someone who has just done this -- http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/forum/vi ... p=879#p879