2004 Jeep TJ Wrangler DD-2001 Install

Installation writeups and questions around Insane Audio's new universal Double DIN head unit!
Curahee

2004 Jeep TJ Wrangler DD-2001 Install

Post by Curahee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:32 pm

I wanted to replace the 10 year old single din Alpine radio with a larger double din head unit that had NAV built in. Normally I clip a portable Garmin RV770 unit to the ball mount on my Rugged Ridge dash top storage, but when off-roading, it wobbles too much.
In order to switch to a double din, I had to get a new dash bezel which I ordered from www.carid.com and it fits perfectly. You reuse your vent inserts and thee four metal mounting tabs and it snaps right in and looks factory.
I also ordered the IACAM1 and IACAM2 for both a forward rock cam view as well as a backup cam view - which is helpful due to blind spots and poor OEM reverse lights.
To install a double din head unit, you have to cut out the plastic “shelf” that exists just above the climate controls after you take the bezel face plate off - that took a bit of time as I used a hack saw blade by hand.

My previous stereo had 4 speakers and a subwoofer running through an Alpine amp so I had to retire the speaker wires coming from the amp to the factory (radio side) harness and then ensure the amp remote wire was attached. Since I was adding a backup cam, I tapped into the purple wire with black stripe that goes to the driver side rear light in order to connect it to the reverse trigger on the DD2001’s radio harness. The only issues I had was that from my previous head unit there 6 RCA cables (1 for each of the 4 speakers and 2 went to the amp for the subwoofer). The DD2001 only has a single Subwoofer RCA input jack in its harness, so I just connected one of them and the sub works great - I couldn’t notice any sound issues.

I would upload pictures but even trying to upload one I get an error message saying the files are too large...IA staff...time for different forum software.

Overall the install took me several hours as I had to pull wires for both rock cam/backup cams as well as the reverse trigger and then reconnect the harnesses, etc. It performs well, sounds well, looks good and so far I couldn’t be happier. The only thing I have left is to mount the front rock cam which will have to go through 3/16” steel of my bumper, then thread the holes and use machine screws. Oh and I have to track down a 30 to 8 pin IPhone cable - these things are impossible to find anymore except online - which by the way they do sell lightning to old 30 pin cable adapters so I would hope IA would just provide the newer one and let people with older phones get the adapter...those old phones are 3-4 years old and likely at then end of their life anyway.

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Re: 2004 Jeep TJ Wrangler DD-2001 Install

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Hey Curahee, thanks for the great post! We're glad to hear the installation was successful, nice work! If you send photos to support@insaneaudio.com, we'll get them posted here. I'll check into the photo upload issue you were experiencing, I know we just updated our forum software, but I'll have our developers look into it.

On the topic of iPhones, the iPod cable is intended for iPods and not so much for connecting an iPhone. There is really no reason to physically connect your phone to your DD2001 other than maybe charging through the USB port. I'm an iPhone user and never really thought about trying to connect it via the iPod cable. I do have a 160GB iPod connected to that cable though. You can stream music wirelessly from your iPhone via the Bluetooth Music app. You can also provide your unit with a WIFI connection via your iPhone's personal hotspot. If you're really keen on connecting your iPhone to your DD2001, we do offer an IACarPlay product that will give you the CarPlay interface when you plug your phone into one of your unit's USB ports: https://insaneaudio.com/product/iacarplay I do use this option from time to time, but find CarPlay's app limitations restrictive, with only 45 apps supported with CarPlay vs. over 3.8 million that you can use with Insane Audio. You have a smart phone, with Insane Audio, now you have a smart Jeep!

Also, we highly recommend taking advantage of the no upper limit micro SD card slot and loading one up with all your favorite music and movies, and downloading a custom music player from the Google Play store. More info on these options:

Micro SD cards: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-256GB-mi ... 073JYC4XM/
Free Your Music From iTunes: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4295
Custom Music Players: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4271

Again, thanks for sharing with the Insane Audio community, and as always, feel free to reach us directly at: support@insaneaudio.com

Cheers,
Insane Audio Support Staff