Update didn't go right, or did it?

Get the latest software for your JK2001!
Mike

Update didn't go right, or did it?

Post by Mike » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Hey support dudes. Your update instructions are probably fine for software savvy people who know what to expect. I am not a software dude. Every time I hear the words software update, I really try to put it off for as long as possible.

I followed your directions, almost step for step. Where I went outside your directions is, I -ASSUMED- that between making certain the navi-engine was shut down and pulling the GPS card the JK2001 needed to be powered down. Something in the back of my mind said I needed to do this even though your directions indicated this was not one of the steps. Perhaps this was an error - and I should have removed the GPS card with the power applied?

In any case, I powered down, swapped cards, and powered back up. I was immediately greeted with the expected update message. Again I followed the directions step for step. The little green Android man did his dance on the screen and the blue bar moved left to right. A few minutes into it, the little green Android man disappeared, the screen went dark, and all the panel lights began blinking on and off at about a 2 Hz rate.

15 min later, my wife came out to tell me dinner was ready. I told her to give me a couple more minutes and I would be in for dinner. I waited. And I waited. Finally, 30 minutes later (45 minutes of blink-blink-blink) my wife came back out and understandingly asked if I was having troubles. She still remembers the JK1001, and not fondly. I tried pressing and holding the power button to see if I could shut it off. Nope - it is stuck blinking. I shut the jeep motor off and went in to dinner. 40 minutes later I went out (85 minutes total since the green Android man went away) and it is still blinking. So now its dark, its cold, and I'm not happy (spelled with a P). I locked the jeep and went in for the evening.

So - what is the indication when the system is all done and we can swap the GPS card back in and check the update? It would be nice if I could hear something ASAP, I go on night shift and I won't have time beyond about noon MST Friday to fix whatever needs fixing.

Not a happy camper today.
Mike -- El Paso, Texas.

2015 JKU-R Hard Rock -- The Copperhead.

Mike

Re: Update didn't go right, or did it?

Post by Mike » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:53 pm

UPDATE: see below quote.
Mike wrote:Hey support dudes.

>SNIP<
I powered down, swapped cards, and powered back up. I was immediately greeted with the expected update message. Again I followed the directions step for step. The little green Android man did his dance on the screen and the blue bar moved left to right. A few minutes into it, the little green Android man disappeared, the screen went dark, and all the panel lights began blinking on and off at about a 2 Hz rate.

15 min later, my wife came out to tell me dinner was ready. I shut the jeep motor off and went in to dinner. 40 minutes later I went out (85 minutes total since the green Android man went away) and it is still blinking. So now its dark, its cold, and I'm not happy (spelled with a P). I locked the jeep and went in for the evening.

So - what is the indication when the system is all done and we can swap the GPS card back in and check the update? It would be nice if I could hear something ASAP, I go on night shift and I won't have time beyond about noon MST Friday to fix whatever needs fixing.

Not a happy camper today.

>SNIP<
UPDATE.......

Support dudes contacted me directly. Unknown what the cause was. Shit happens. The cure was a hard reboot. A soft reboot is pressing the little hidden button. A hard reboot requires removing power from the JK2001. This requires you to unplug the JK2001, or remove the battery negative cable. I chose the battery, it is easier to do.

In any case, I pulled the negative cable from the battery, went in the house and made an iced coffee (winter in West Texas, still warm here), and 15 min later I re-attached the battery cable, started the jeep, and the JK2001 booted up fine. Using Torque, I checked for any codes (battery disconnected?), and went on my merry way. It has been a full week now, and no further problems.

Remember this. To err is human. The really foul things up takes a computer. And the JK2001 is a computer.
Mike -- El Paso, Texas.

2015 JKU-R Hard Rock -- The Copperhead.

GordonSmith

Post by GordonSmith » Fri May 25, 2018 8:56 am

FYI: The same thing happened to me last night. I did the update exactly according to instructions and ran into the same symptoms. Luckily this post was here! :) I disconnected the battery's negative terminal and reattached. It then rebooted fine (although was stuck on the IA logo screen for a while - presumably finishing the update).

Thanks!

FWIW: Same Jeep... 2015 JKU-R

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Hey folks, thanks for sharing your experience here! Just a quick correction, disconnecting the battery is not necessary in this case. To accomplish the same thing we included a reset button in the product design! It does the same thing as disconnecting the battery, powers down and reboots the unit, but it's much more convenient. The reset button location varies depending on which model product you have, but all the reset buttons are inset in a small hole and can be pressed by using a paper clip or ball point pen. If you're having trouble finding it on your specific unit, feel free to shoot us a quick message at support@insaneaudio.com and we'll guide in.