Fun With Reverse Cameras

Discussion relating to installation of accessories to your Insane Audio head unit
InsaneAudioSupport2

Fun With Reverse Cameras

Post by InsaneAudioSupport2 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:44 pm

Hooking Up a Reverse Camera With Your JK1001

Many of you out there will want to hook up a reverse camera to your JK1001 at some point in the years you’ll have your JK1001. This is a great way to avoid running over the neighbor kid’s bike on Monday morning, but how the heck do you do it? Well, it turns out this is fairly simple to do. Your JK1001 is already pre-wired for a backup camera.

Here is what you’ll need to do --

1. First, you’ll want to get yourself a backup camera. Just about any one will do so long as it outputs RCA video.
2. You’ll want to connect the male RCA cable from the camera to the female CAM IN in the JK1001 audio bundle. Nothing too difficult there.
3. Unless you have a battery powered camera, you’ll likely need to power it as well. Most folks tap into a reverse light circuit so your camera isn’t needlessly powered on all the time.

That’s pretty much it! When your vehicle is in reverse, the camera should automatically display.

Once everything is hooked up properly, if your vehicle is in reverse and you see a “no signal” warning, then that means that you aren’t getting a clean signal to that CAM IN port. You may have a bad camera, it may not be powered properly, or you may not have a clean connection to CAM IN.

If everything is hooked up properly and when your vehicle is in reverse nothing happens (i.e. the system keeps on keeping on), then you may fall into the small percentage of vehicles (certain makes/models.. roughly 2% of JK’s) where you’ll need to take one additional step. If this is you, then you’ll need to tap into one additional wire in your JK1001’s wiring harness and connect it to a reverse light circuit (i.e. something that provides 12V when the vehicle is in reverse)
1.jpg
1.jpg (24.7 KiB) Viewed 14282 times
(If your wiring harness doesn’t look like this, please hit us up at support@insanejeepaudio.com)

Rocking Out While Backing Up

Your JK1001 comes shipped with a bunch of safety features enabled, but like everything else with our system this is all customizable. Please remember to always pay attention to everything around you (sights AND sounds) when backing up!

While backing up, your JK1001 will automatically display your rearview camera. It will also mute all sound by default to allow the driver to focus on reversing. To allow you to continue rocking out in reverse, there is a setting called reversing sound in Driving Safety that you will need to turn ON. Turning reversing sound ON will allow you to have your music stay at full volume. Note that you can also have your JK1001 lower the volume to a given threshold by setting the attenuation. This is really the best of both worlds as you'll be able to hear that Chiwawa yelp right before you run over him like a little speed bump yet still keep on listening to that funky track.

If you are NOT Going to Install a Backup Camera

There may be some of you out there who wish to opt out of the reverse camera all together and don’t particularly like having “no signal” displayed on their JK1001 every time they throw their Jeep into reverse. You’ll note that this is as easy as disengaging a simple wire. Your wiring harness should have a reverse wire clearly labeled with a special quick release connection. Simply disengage this connection and you will be good to go. Should you ever decide to get that backup camera, simply reengage that wire and you’re backup camera ready!
2.jpg
2.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 14282 times
(If your wiring harness doesn’t look like this, please hit us up at support@insanejeepaudio.com)

That’s all for now! Thanks for reading and we’ll see ‘ya on the trail!

InSaNe AuDio Support Staff

DangerDanNH

Re: Fun With Reverse Cameras

Post by DangerDanNH » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:14 am

on the harness with all the a/v jacks there is a small power and ground wire. is that for the cam or should i tap power off the reverse lights?

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:03 am

DangerDanNH wrote:on the harness with all the a/v jacks there is a small power and ground wire. is that for the cam or should i tap power off the reverse lights?
We recommend tapping into your reverse lights so your camera isn't powered on all the time when you aren't using it (it'll last longer that way!)

Zerethusta

Post by Zerethusta » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:05 pm

InsaneAudioSupport2 wrote:Hooking Up a Reverse Camera With Your JK1001

If everything is hooked up properly and when your vehicle is in reverse nothing happens (i.e. the system keeps on keeping on), then you may fall into the small percentage of vehicles (certain makes/models.. roughly 2% of JK’s) where you’ll need to take one additional step. If this is you, then you’ll need to tap into one additional wire in your JK1001’s wiring harness and connect it to a reverse light circuit (i.e. something that provides 12V when the vehicle is in reverse)
Looks like my 15 JKUR is in that 2%... Just wired it in, if I put it in the video in RCA it shows just fine in the aux-in app, but when I go into reverse I get nothing, system just keeps on keeping on as usual (and yes, I reconnected the brown wires).

What wire do I need to send power to?

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:35 pm

Zerethusta wrote:
InsaneAudioSupport2 wrote:Hooking Up a Reverse Camera With Your JK1001

Looks like my 15 JKUR is in that 2%... Just wired it in, if I put it in the video in RCA it shows just fine in the aux-in app, but when I go into reverse I get nothing, system just keeps on keeping on as usual (and yes, I reconnected the brown wires).

What wire do I need to send power to?
That's really strange. For the record -- we have been working with a few Jeep dealerships to install the JK1001 in new JK's and have literally installed backup cameras in hundreds of 2015 and 2016's. We still don't quite know why a small percentage of vehicles seem to send a different canbus code for reverse. Just for our records, do you have a manual or automatic transmission? What is your specific model? (Sport, Ruby, etc)?

Before you start splicing wires, let's make sure we are 100% connected properly. You already verified your camera is working via the AVIN app which is good. When you are testing the reverse camera functionality, are you using the CAM IN RCA port?

If you're 100% certain that your camera toggle wire is connected properly (as shown in this thread) and your camera is hooked up to the CAM IN RCA jack... and you still don't get the signal... then you'll need to:

1). Disconnect that camera toggle wire (the brown wire shown in this thread)

2). Connect the end going TO your JK1001 to a 12v power source that is hot only when your vehicle is in reverse.

Zerethusta

Post by Zerethusta » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:48 pm

15 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Manual. In case it helps with diagnosis/record keeping, I also have the power-drain issue.

And yep, there's the 2 yellow headed RCA's. One works with AVIN, other doesn't, don't remember which was which as I'm not at my car right now. I definitely have the bullet connector connected on the brown reverse wires, and putting in reverse does nothing (when I initially installed it, I disconnected them as I didn't put the reverse camera in until last night, so can't verify if it ever actually toggled reverse mode)

Any suggestions on where to find a reverse powered wire without running one all the way to the light? I mean, I CAN, but that's an awful lot of 18 gauge to run.

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:58 am

Zerethusta wrote:15 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Manual. In case it helps with diagnosis/record keeping, I also have the power-drain issue.
Interesting. That does help...

Where are you located, by the way? Are you in the US?
Zerethusta wrote: And yep, there's the 2 yellow headed RCA's. One works with AVIN, other doesn't, don't remember which was which as I'm not at my car right now.
There are actually a bunch of yellow RCA inputs on that little accessory pigtail. For example, there are two video outputs that are there for external monitors (like a rear seat monitor). The one you want to use is CAM IN.
Zerethusta wrote: Any suggestions on where to find a reverse powered wire without running one all the way to the light? I mean, I CAN, but that's an awful lot of 18 gauge to run.
Honestly, we aren't sure. There may be a wire in your dash that is hot when the vehicle is in reverse but in the last vehicle we did this on, we just tapped into the wire going to the camera (instead of splicing another factory wire) and just ran it alongside the RCA cable back to the dash.

Zerethusta

Post by Zerethusta » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:57 am

Phoenix, AZ. It was purchased in August, has the connectivity package, came with the base radio (with BT), and tow package.

I actually ran the wire last night (all 20 or so feet of it), works like a charm now. Just need to figure out a better mounting solution, zip tied to the trailer receiver may not be ideal...

MrBill

Post by MrBill » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:47 am

It seems I'm apart of the 2% JK world. I have an 07 Ruby, manual. I installed my JK1001, which I picked up on Monday 2/29/16, and when I put it into reverse it's like a normal, the brown wire is connected. I have the Insane camera, which I haven't installed yet, but without the reverse installing is just a rigging problem.

If I understand your posts correctly, I unplug the brown wire, splice the brown wire coming from the head unit into a 12v reverse power supply and connect the camera to the same power supply and connect to the male RCA cable from the camera to the female CAM IN in the JK1001 audio bundle in I should be up and running, so I can aim for the barking Chiwawa when I backup.

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:32 pm

MrBill wrote:It seems I'm apart of the 2% JK world. I have an 07 Ruby, manual. I installed my JK1001, which I picked up on Monday 2/29/16, and when I put it into reverse it's like a normal, the brown wire is connected. I have the Insane camera, which I haven't installed yet, but without the reverse installing is just a rigging problem.

If I understand your posts correctly, I unplug the brown wire, splice the brown wire coming from the head unit into a 12v reverse power supply and connect the camera to the same power supply and connect to the male RCA cable from the camera to the female CAM IN in the JK1001 audio bundle in I should be up and running, so I can aim for the barking Chiwawa when I backup.
Exactly.

...but be nice to that barking Chiwawa. He bites.