New accessory for your JK1001! AM/FM Radio Booster!

Information about new products and accessories!
TheDVS1

Re: New accessory for your JK1001! AM/FM Radio Booster!

Post by TheDVS1 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Greetings. Overall, I believe I'm a fan of my JK2001, however I have to report that radio reception is absolutely abysmal and far worse than my stock JK head unit. It's gotten to the point where I don't bother listening to radio. I live halfway between LA and San Diego, but my old radio handled the stations just fine.

Will the IARBoost help my situation? Does it just boost background hiss and noise or will it genuinely improve tuner sensitivity? Honestly, the radio is just awful and not what I expected at this price point. Thoughts, tips or pointers? It's connected to my stock antenna, so no funny-business going on. Thanks! ;)

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:21 pm

Hey There! Just to confirm, have you double checked to make sure that your unit is connected to the WHITE antenna adapter inside your dash and not the YELLOW one? Connecting to the wrong antenna will definitely cause reception issues and is usually the root cause. If you've already checked this, please head over to www.insaneaudio.com/support to open up a ticket with our friendly tech support staff!

TheDVS1

Post by TheDVS1 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:45 pm

Well, I thought I'd check back in with an update. First of all, I had the antenna wire plumbed correctly to the white connector. I actually purchased an adapter to use the stock Sirius/XM/GPS antenna since the IA GPS antenna failed to deliver more than about 5 satellites. I have a Superchips Traildash 2 mounted above the JK2001, and it was causing reception issues. The stock antenna works with the adapter and your headunit.

So back to the problem at hand, I purchased an IARBoost off of eBay and it arrived today. Took the dash apart, JK2001 out, and installed the new harness. Ran all the wires, got it hooked up, bolted the h/u back into place, attached the battery cable and booted up the unit. Not expecting much if any change, I hit the Radio icon and I've now got stations galore! I'm thinking that I may have had a bad antenna connector, because previously I was barely able to get ANY reception. I can't believe the IARBoost would be responsible for all of the gain. Sensitivity was abysmal before and barely 1/4 as good as the stock h/u.

Anyway, my radio is now usable with reception on par with what I had with the stock headunit. BTW, has IARBoost been discontinued? I noticed it's not available at many places anymore. Cheers guys! :D

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Mon May 13, 2019 9:07 am

Hi, there. It definitely sounds like you may have had a bad pigtail. For what its worth, we would have certainly replaced that for you free of charge. For any technical troubleshooting, we always recommend customers hit us up directly at www.insaneaudio.com/support for issues like this.

We're glad IARBOOST works for you, though! IARBOOST should give you a 15-20% boost in AM/FM reception. Its a good product, but we discontinued it as we weren't really selling enough and the parts and labor to build these were too expensive for a product that really isn't needed. Most folks are happy re-using their exising AM/FM antenna (assuming, of course, they don't have a bad adapter cable!). But if AM/FM reception is important to you and you can get your hands on one, its definitely worth the extra boost in reception.

Thanks for the update and keep on Jeepin' on! :)