CB Radio Antennas

Discussions about... well... anything else!
smallandmighty

CB Radio Antennas

Post by smallandmighty » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Hey guys! I just ordered my head unit for my TJ.
I want to also add a CB radio for out on the trails and up some remote areas. I wanted to know if the antenna from the CB will effect the radio or GPS signal. And if so which ones/style would be the best to avoid it.

Im not a techie so small simple words are better!

Thank you!

Colorado_Rubicon

Re: CB Radio Antennas

Post by Colorado_Rubicon » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:52 am

I use both (A TJ headhunt and a CB radio) at the same time and have never seen any issues with interference. That said, out on the trails I frequent there is no AM/FM radio reception at all so I don't use that part of the TJ1002 head unit. Everything else is fine.

I mounted the CB antenna on the rear swing-away tire carrier on the Jeep. Be sure to ground everything securely, you should be fine.

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:57 pm

A CB antenna won't have any effect on AM/FM or GPS reception, however, we do recommend you mount your GPS antenna in a different location if you are planning on mounting anything (like a CB) directly above your Insane Audio head unit. Basically -- a GPS antenna needs a clear view of the sky in order to work best. We normally recommend just mounting the GPS antenna directly above the head unit (as detailed in the installation instructions) but if you are planning on having other electronics up there that might block the view... then we do provide plenty of slack and in that case, you can mount the GPS antenna up in your roll bar padding. Basically -- try to avoid having any electronics in between that GPS antenna and the sky and you'll be good to go!

We hope you love your new Insane Audio head unit!!

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:44 am

There should not be any interference whatsoever. These operating frequencies are widely separated. A CB radio runs near 27 MHz (27 million cycles per second). Depending on your model, GPS satellites run at 1200 or 1500 MHz (1.2 or 1.5 billion cycles per second). As mentioned, if you mount the CB radio above the Insane Audio radio, it will block the GPS signal. This is easy to cure, relocate the GPS antenna.

Grounding, and good quality coax will go a long way to making everything play nice.
Mike -- El Paso, Texas.

2015 JKU-R Hard Rock -- The Copperhead.

smallandmighty

Post by smallandmighty » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:23 am

Thank you guys! That helps out alot!